Friday, June 22, 2007

Tip for Switchers #1: How to Zip a file in OSX

I'm a switcher from Windows XP. I've used Windows for over a decade. Thus, I've gotten used to how things work there. As tech and computer savvy as I am, OSX is still a new OS for me, and although I know it has everything Windows does (for the most part), a lot of that is done a bit differently.

For example, compressing (or zipping) a file is done similar, but with a different name. In Windows XP, you right click, and then sent to a compressed folder. When you right click in OSX that option doesn't pop up....verbatim. Instead, there is something that says "Create Archive."

Now, I had no idea what that meant. I just wanted to zip a file, not create an archive. So, as I do for everything else, I went to the Macworld forums, which is an amazing resource for switchers such as myself, and asked. Sure enough, "Create an Archive" is the same thing as sending something to a compressed folder.

So, there you go, your switchers tip #1.

-Steve

No comments: